Ready or not, Summer is almost over, and we still going through, which means spending more time outside and in your new backyard swimming pool. While electrical safety is important year-round, we think this is a great time of year to review some pool electrical safety tips. To have peace-of-mind and protect you and your most asset, your family! Here are some things to keep in mind.
POOL SAFETY TIPS
- Use only battery-operated products around the pool that are waterproof or water-resistant.
- Be mindful of overhead power lines. Your pool should not be installed within 25 feet of overhead power lines and long-handled poles and tools should be kept away from them as well. You should also keep these tools and poles held as low to the ground as possible.
- Always avoid touching any electrical items when you are wet or are touching wet surfaces. Especially if you are barefoot.
- Keep electric cords, wires, and appliances at least 5 feet from the water.
- Regularly inspect your pool lights for cracks or mold on the inside of the lens which could show signs of a leak.
- Make sure all outdoor receptacles are covered and are GFCI protected. These offer the best protection against electrocution.
- Have a licensed electrician inspect and upgrade your pool or hot tub wiring to ensure it is safe and meets NEC requirements.
It can be easy to overlook, but electrical safety is extremely important, especially around water. The electricians at L-Train Electric are safety experts.